The external affairs ministry asserted that there are no further developments at the India-China military face-off site in Doka La since the last disengagement.
“The status quo prevails in this area. Any suggestion to the contrary is incorrect,” the ministry said in a brief statement.
“There can be build-up anywhere else, away from the site, but that does not change the status quo. What was agreed by both sides, when they decided to disengage, has not been violated so far,” the ministry added.
There had been speculations from the media houses suggesting that the tensions in Doka La has resurfaced and the comments from the ministry can be assumed to be a reply to all the speculations.
The reports from the media suggested the presence of Chinese troops near the site of the Doka La standoff and suspected them of widening an existing road which is at a distance of around 12 km from the area of conflict.
However, the Chinese Government was quick to respond to all the allegations levied against them and said in a written response, “The Donglang (Doka La) area has always belonged to China and has been under the effective jurisdiction of China.”
“There is no dispute. The Chinese border forces have been patrolling in the area of Donglang, exercising their sovereign rights and safeguarding territorial sovereignty according to the historical boundary,” their foreign ministry added.
The Indian Ministry also informed that the Defence Minister Nirmala Sitharaman will visit Sikkim and Arunachal Pradesh on Saturday and Sunday to review the situation along India’s border with China.
“The defense minister is scheduled to visit to border states of Sikkim and Arunachal Pradesh, where she will take stock on the prevailing security situation, especially after the Dokalam face-off. During the visit, she will be briefed by top commanders of the Eastern command on the defense preparedness (sic),” the ministry informed.
-with inputs from FirstPost